Names of the Fallen
The following table contains all the names on the Peasedown St John Village War Memorial, located in the Parish Church of St John the Baptist. The bronze First World War Memorial Plaque was paid for by public subscription and dedicated on 24th June 1928. Public subscription also funded a second bronze Memorial Plaque in honour of those who Peasedown men who laid down their lives in the Second World War. This was dedicated by the Bishop of Taunton on 5th July 1953 and unveiled by Brigadier Arnold Cazenove. All Service Personnel who died in the service of the Crown were entitled to an Official War Grave. Those whose remains have never been discovered instead have their sacrifice is recorded on an Official Memorial. Both the War Graves and the Memorials are maintained ‘in perpetuity’ by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC).
The records all those on the Peasedown St John War Memorial along with links to their Graves or Memorials.
Sometimes the Regiment given by the CWGC are at variance with that on the War Memorial owing to soldiers transferring Regiments or Battalions as the War progressed.
G. H. Wilson